Just got the 5d Thursday, needed a workflow to start editing by Saturday night.
I am NOT a video techy/guru WHATSOEVER, so i just googled, & tried away.
I need 720P video for Marketing/DVD & Youtube Viral Marketing/Videos.
Video Here -
I use my 5d for Clubs & dirtbiking, so lots of fast action!
What you need : Quicktime Pro, Sony Vegas/HD Video Editing Software, All i had, all i used.
STEP 1 - QUICKTIME
1. Open 1 clip in Quick time, Press CTRL+0 (zero) it will shrink screen down
2. Drag & drop all clips you wish to use (up to 1GB) into the Same Quicktime Window.
3. File - Export (Movie to Quicktime Movie) - Options
SETTINGS - Compression Type - H.264
- Frame Rate (use current, you can try 24-25)
- Quality - BEST (Under data rate, choose Automatic for Quality Compressor, you can choose restrict to to choose your own KBPS)
- Encoding -Best Quality (longer but significantly better picture)
SIZE - HD 1280X720 16:9
Dont adjust anything else.
- I Disable because i Dub Music over what i Shoot, Reduces rendering time.
- You can use AC, PCM, whatever your heart desires. Why Render it if you put music over?
STEP 2: Sony Vegas
In options I made The spacebar Start/Pause.
As you would have guessed, every little clip is now 1 clip.
1. Drop your clips into the Timeline ( they should render & play without frames dropping)
2. Play the Clip, when you see a new scene, press S, this will split the clip away from the larger clip. Continue for your new clip.
Great for knowing your scenes & planning out where you will want what.
Some clips may have a few frames from previous clips, just drag them out, Zooming in will help you see more frames when splitting/editing .
Render to whatever format you wish in vegas.
Sonys h.264 is -
Sony AVC (*.mp4)
CUSTOM - PROJECT Video Rendering Quality - BEST
- VIDEO - Video Format AVC, Custom Frame Size (input 1280X720)
- Frame Race 29.970
- Pixel Aspect 1.0
- Bit Rate BPS (4, 000 000) I think?
Works for me.
Video here :